M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Friday, July 22, 2005  

Random things I've seen around Minneapolis this summer:

* A kid in our neighborhood manning a lemonade stand. What was unusual about it is that he was wearing a suit and tie. Sadly, the premium presentation wasn't reflected in the quality of the actual lemonade. Either he's the worst lemonade-maker in the world, or he owns a llama with diabetes.

* TLC's While You Were Out truck parked outside the Hyatt Regency in Downtown Minneapolis, several days in a row. I didn't think they did hotel rooms. What amused me is that now every business traveler who saw it parked there thinks he or she is going to come home to a new game room or garden patio.

"Hi, honey, I'm home! Oh, I see we still have the same kitchen cabinets."

"Dude, you were in Minneapolis for a day and a half."

"Yeah, I know, but still. Is this the same living room carpet?"

* New signs notifying motorists that the traffic signal they're driving through is "photo monitored." Because if you're going to be sneaky about catching scofflaws, it's only fair to tell them you're being sneaky.

Of course, so far the only people it's "caught" are people like cops, city council members, and other people that everyone knows already run lights anyway. What a relief the state government is up and running again.

posted by M. Giant 9:55 PM 4 comments

4 Comments:

I would totally buy lemonade from a kid in a suit, but I would also beat up a kid selling lemonade in a suit. You just know he wears a suit to school, as well.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 25, 2005 at 6:34 AM  

We have those signs on our streetlights, too. I always thought they might be a decoy, like those fake cameras in the corner deli to catch shoplifters.

How did your hsow go last night? Were you in New York?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 25, 2005 at 6:36 AM  

OK, yes, the lemonade was indeed crappo -- in both cases, as well as other cases with others on walks -- but seriously, could the rest of you walk by a little girl (or suited and old-before-his-time boy) selling lemonade and not buy any? I mean, it's almost 100 degrees outside, and there they are, roasting in the heat.

What I think is funny is that, while I do indeed purchase the lemonade, I never intend to actually DRINK the lemonade. However, M. Giant, Linda, and Bitter all drink it down when I buy it. So who is the sucker here?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 25, 2005 at 8:50 AM  

I'm totally a sucker, too. If I see a kid selling lemonade, I will stop the car to buy it. I remember having a lemonade stand and not selling much of anything, so I feel bad.

Jennifer

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 25, 2005 at 8:53 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives