M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Saturday, January 29, 2005  

Single Dad Blues

I’ve written before about how I like to clean up the place when Trash is out of town. She gets to return to a clean house, we don’t have to spend her homecoming day straightening up, and she has that much stronger of an incentive to come back next time she leaves.

Of course, this is the first time I’ve tried it while also dealing with overlapping writing deadlines, one cat on insulin and another on post-surgical antibiotics and painkillers (Phantom was not pregnant, obviously), and a three-and-a-half-month-old son.

Or, to be more accurate, it would have been the first time I’ve tried it if I actually tried it. Which I didn’t. I basically carved out a block of time long enough to empty out the Diaper Genies, and I’m feeling pretty good about that.

As previously mentioned, I got insane amounts of help from M. Tiny’s grandmothers the past several days. Mom put in lots of overtime during the week, and Trash’s mom and aunt braved high winds yesterday to make the eight-hour drive from Iowa (three hours when I’m driving). Which is really the only reason that the “overlapping writing deadlines” thing in combination with the “three-and-a-half-month-old-son” thing worked at all. You ever see movies or TV shows where people successfully work from home while also parenting? Those shows are lies. Before M. Tiny was born, I didn’t know how single parents did it. Now I don’t know how married parents without vast, incredibly generous support systems do it.

I’m also glad I’ve never complained to Trash about the fact that taking care of M. Tiny seems to squeeze out other domestic tasks during the days when she’s home. In addition to the fact that it would be rude, and that I’m happy she’s doing such a great job with the kid, I look around our kitchen today and I’m really relieved that I’m not staring down the barrel of that particular karmic bazooka.

But even though the house isn’t cleaner than she was when she left, it’s not significantly less clean. At least not in the places she’s likely to look.

Besides, now she has a new incentive to come home that she didn’t have before. It’s mentioned in the second paragraph, in case you’re curious. And it’s working, too, because Trash ended up coming home a whole day early.

Which gave me that much less time to mess up the place even more.

* * *

Hey, wanna see some pictures?

Here, M. Tiny practices one of his newest skills. Have to start him on an allowance soon.



Despite how it may appear, nobody is dangling his pants at him from beyond the left edge of the frame.



Can you stand the cuteness? That’s Phantom on the left and Turtle on the right, who is nearly as big as her sister now (I use the term “sister” as a domestic relationship, not to imply that they are biological littermates, which they are not). Such adorableness! Can it last?


Only to the extent to which one cat attempting to shove her head up another cat's ass is adorable.



Strat says, “I hate kittens so much.

Today’s best search phrase: “Giant girls and their tiny friends.” That’s touching, kind of.

posted by M. Giant 6:29 PM 3 comments

3 Comments:

I can't remember how I found your blog, but I'm addicted. You inspire me... in so many ways.

Anyway, couldn't help but comment about the fact that you posted THREE cat pics and only ONE of M Tiny! What were you thinking?! On the other hand, your cats are darling, your son is adorable, and you and Trash sound like wonderful people.

Which reminds me... I don't suppose you'd want to recap for us recent Velcrometer devotees how Trash came by that name?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 29, 2005 at 9:19 PM  

Eeee! I didn't realize they were CALICOS! I have to calico idiots and they still don't play like that, two years later. Once I caught them in the laundry basket together, but I think they were trying to trick me. So you're ahead of the game. Or my cats are buttholes, whichever.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 30, 2005 at 9:14 AM  

I think you did the right thing, putting up the soft spongy mobile rather than the one with hard plastic shapes, with pop-culture icons like Christopher Walken and Sarah Michelle Gellar in them. You definitely do not want to turn around for two seconds to find the Poopsmith now has Conan O'Brien in his mouth.

Oh, and about that nickname:
http://store.northshoreshirts.com/trashtshirt.html

By Blogger Febrifuge, at January 30, 2005 at 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives