M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Wednesday, January 26, 2005  

Humpblog (1/26/05)

Trash is out of town for the week, so I’m basically a single parent for a few days. A single parent who’s getting a ridiculous amount of help from the grandparents, granted, but a single parent nonetheless.

Trash’s flight left today. Used to be that you could enter a flight number into Google and it would link you to a real-time map of the flight en route, with a little blip slowly traversing the states and a countdown to landing. This wasn’t that long ago, either, I’m talking post-September 11. But I tried it today, and it didn’t work. I can only assume that the FAA put a stop to this kind of thing due to all the random idiots aiming their laser pointes at commercial aircraft.

Doesn’t the FAA see what’s happening? If we change our way of life, the random idiots aiming their laser pointers at commercial aircraft win!

* * *

So the plan last Wednesday was for me to take Phantom down to the Vet-Friend’s office for declawing and de-uterusing. Vet Friend’s office is, unfortunately, located in a southern exurb. I’d have to get up pretty early in the morning, as they say, if I was going to get down there and back and all the way downtown in time for work. That was entirely aside from the necessity of delivering Phantom between 7:00 and 8:00 a.m.

But I wasn’t worried. I’d not only set my alarm clock early, I’d be sure to be the one to get up for M.Tiny’s midnight feeding and changing. Because, you see, while M. Tiny used to wake up in the middle of the night, he’s been lasting longer, to the point where the midnight feeding has become the predawn feeding. I figured, feed the kid at 5:30 or 6:00 like usual, get ready for work, pack up the kitty, and head out the door.

At 7:15 a.m., I discovered that my clock radio alarm had been tuned to a dead channel and had been going off silently for more than an hour. M. Tiny, for his part, hadn’t gone off at all for over seven hours. Basically, at just over three months of age, he’d slept through the night for the first time.

Stupid kid. Now I had to reschedule the cat’s surgery.

* * *

Did I tell you that my author’s copies of The Sisters’ Tragedy arrived at my house last month? I can’t describe the feeling of holding something you’ve written, now bound and printed with your name on the cover. It’s what we writers live for.

Now, I know a few of you reading this have had that high, and you know what I’m talking about .The rest of you? Here’s what you do:

Click on the picture of my book to the upper right. Go to the website. Order a dozen copies. When they come to your house, imagine you’re me. I guarantee you’ll never forget that experience.

No need to thank me.

Today's best search phrase: "Humour embarrassing coffee airport eating stories clean change carry-on." I don't know, maybe Trash will bring some home from her trip. Provided she meets enough Canadians.

posted by M. Giant 7:33 PM 4 comments

4 Comments:

I didn't know about the Google flight tracking, but you can still do that through CheapTickets' FlightTracker:
http://www.cheaptickets.com/trs/cheaptickets/flighttracker/flight_tracker_home.xsl

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 26, 2005 at 8:14 PM  

Don't get a warm glow about M. Tiny sleeping through the night just yet--certainly enjoy it while it lasts, but something about hitting seven months or so makes them forget everything they know about sleeping...sigh...*yawn*

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 27, 2005 at 6:45 AM  

I can't even imagine the high of holding something you wrote that, well, looks like something someone else wrote because, you know, only other people get published. For me, that's still the case. For you, it's not.

Congrats on becoming one of the "other people."

By Blogger J Money, at January 27, 2005 at 10:24 AM  

Excellent, from here on in I'm going to stop calling it spaying, and start calling it de-uterusing. It's much more interesting.

Genibee

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 27, 2005 at 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives