M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Wednesday, January 12, 2005  

Humpblog (1/12/05)

It’s a little quiet around the site lately, but not because I haven’t been writing. I just haven’t been writing for you.

In case you've ever wondered, writing a recap for Television Without Pity takes longer than you might think. And every once in a while (or on a regular basis, if you're Linda), one of us will get socked with the dreaded "threecap," which is three recaps due in a single week.

(Again, if you're Linda, you may even find yourself facing the equivalent of an incredibly rare "double-threecap," as she did one week last month, which led to her leaving that week's recap of The Amazing Race to some hack.)

I've always thought, “Wow, I could never do a threecap.” Except now I have. You may recall that the show I cover is 24, and a cursory look at this week’s TV listings will tell you that I was looking at my first-ever “fourcap.” Along with a few other projects that have come up.

So as of now, the first two recaps are up at TWoP. You can find them here. I hope that makes up somewhat for neglecting you.

* * *

Training a new cat in on the house rules can be tricky. So can training two. I yelled at Phantom for being on the kitchen counter during her first week with us, and for a while she seemed to take that to mean that she wasn’t allowed in the kitchen at all. Which, since the kitchen is the only way to get from the basement stairs to the rest of the house, made her a little skittish for a while. I fear that may have contributed to her reluctance to come to me when she was outside a few weeks ago.

Training two new cats on the house rules is even trickier, especially when one of them is really dumb.

I don't remember how long it took us to train Strat and Orca not to fight on the bed when we were in it. Ten or twelve years, I'd venture. Now we're starting that process all over with Turtle and Phantom, whose relationship with each other can go from mutual grooming to mutual assured destruction in seconds.

What we always did with Strat and Orca was just kick them off onto the floor. That doesn't work with Turtle. It just gives her a new opponent. She forgets about Phantom, who by this point is hiding under the bed, and hops back up on top of the bedspread to stalk whatever sneaky enemy just booted her off onto the rug. Which, in her tiny, fuzzy mind, is basically anything that moves under the blankets.

Have I ever mentioned that Trash and I both shift a lot as we fall asleep?

Good thing I'm so tired from writing all these recaps.

* * *

M. Tiny went to the doctor today. He's had some odd symptoms lately, and we figured we'd get him seen just to make sure he didn't have anything worse than a mild cold.

As it turns out, he doesn't even have that. He just thinks he's teething.

This kid. So impatient about everything. Always ahead of schedule. He's not supposed to start teething until two months from now at the earliest. But try taking his teething ring away from him two weeks ago. Now he's drooling and sticking his tongue out like he's going to sprout himself a Sunny Baudelaire fang or two at any minute.

No point to this story, really. Just wanted to let you know that if things continue this way for the next couple of years, I could be handing this blog over to him quite a bit sooner than I'd planned.

Today's best search phrase: "Edward is likely the big giant stud." Likely? Likely? Are you kidding me with that? Have you met Edward? Edward is the big giant stud, and there are no two ways about it.

posted by M. Giant 11:05 PM 5 comments

5 Comments:

This late night writing stuff is hard work, you go to bed and I will pick up where you left off here on the West Coast.

By Blogger DASJEWD, at January 12, 2005 at 11:06 PM  

I have wondered how long it takes to write a recap. I've wondered about the process -- do you take notes as you watch the show, using them as you re-watch and write? Or do you watch it once, without even thinking about TWoP, and save the recapping stuff for later? I imagine it must involve a lot of play-pause-write-play-pause-write-play-pause ... well, you get the idea.

In her recent Christmas tale of woe, Linda talked a little about recap writing, and it certainly seemed like an intense process -- but then, you guys are very good at these, and they never seem like casual toss-offs, so I'm not surprised. And you probably know this, but people like me really appreciate them. My wife and I actually talk more during our shows now, referencing points from last week's recaps, speculating about what recapper X is going to say about the current episode and, well ... is it too much to say that TWoP has brought us closer? That it saved our marriage and rekindled our love and is partly to blame for my wife's sudden pregnancy?

Yes, it is too much to say that, but you guys are terrific, is what I’m saying.

By Blogger WCB, at January 13, 2005 at 8:32 AM  

I think I would be lost without TWoP. Since my job is incredibly boring and I'm beinhd a computer all day, it occupies my poor, under-used mind for a while. Thanks.

By Blogger Kaye, at January 13, 2005 at 9:04 AM  

"Edward is likely the big giant stud"

You know, I've met Edward, and I gotta say, I disagree with you, Mr. Giant. Not only is he not *the* big giant stud, I'm not sure he is *any* type of stud.

Now, if it said "M. Giant is likely the big giant stud" that would be a different story.

-erin

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 13, 2005 at 9:35 AM  

Those first teeth take forever. And, they can start as early as 3 months, even though the usual age is about 6 months. My 4 1/2 month old has been drooling like the village idiot for about a month now, and not much of a sign of tooth coming yet. I can see them down there, in the gum line, but no snags-a-poppin' yet. I keep hoping it'll be soon, just as a payoff for all the drooling and chewing on my fingers. Plus, there's this whole weird tongue thing, too. She sticks it out and kind of wriggles it. Entertaining, but kinda weird.

Waiting with bated breath for the hour four recap - Fox, in its infinite wisdom, set up Monday's episode as tow one-hour showings, instead of a two-hour block like Sunday night. My TiVo did not know this, so now I'm out an hour. Damn Fox.

- Patty

By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 13, 2005 at 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives