M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Saturday, December 11, 2004  

We Have A Winner

UPDATE: The winning recipes are now posted below.

This was the weekend of Trash and Blaine’s annual Christmas Cookie Baking Blowout, about which I’ll say more on Monday. But first, I need to announce the winners of the Sugar Cookie Contest so that they can stop sitting by their computers waiting to learn their fate and start sitting by the mailbox waiting for their prizes.

Of course, like an idiot, I forgot to ask permission to post the winning recipes, so I’m not going to do that just yet. I’ll ask the winners to tell me whether it’s okay with them, and maybe they’ll be posted later.

Third prize goes to Average Jane, whom I assure you did not receive preferential treatment because she links to me.

Average Jane's Sugar Cookies

2 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup creamed butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Cream butter and sugar together, then add eggs and vanilla, followed by the dry ingredients. Blend well and roll out on floured board. Cut with cookie cutters. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 to 10 minutes.


In fact, all of these were the result of blind tastings, and each cookie was judged on its own merits. Which in this case are, in Jane’s own words:

Okay, here's my family sugar cookie recipe dating back several generations. Why has it stood the test of time? Well, it's simple, buttery-tasting and versatile. Roll the dough thin and you can make a good, crisp cookie with lightly-browned edges. Roll the dough thicker and they stay a little soft in the middle. They taste good with or without icing.

All of which is true, and all of which has earned Jane an assortment of Velcrometer refrigerator magnets, suitable for mounting on your refrigerator.

But in terms of tastiness and ease of baking they were just barely edged out by the second place winner from Kathleen:

2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups butter butter butter
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
some extra granulated sugar

Cream sugar with softened butter. Add eggs and beat well. In a seperate bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Stir everything together, but do not overmix. Form batter into balls and dip in sugar. (If desired, chill batter, and dip the batter-balls in cold water prior to coating in sugar. Your call.) Flatten balls on buttered cookie sheet. Dude, that sounds dirty. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.


Kathleen also had this to say:

I hope this recipe is at least incrementally different from the current and prior recipes. Good luck to Trash in finding the perfect one!

Congratulations, Kathleen! Your recipe was in fact incrementally better than Jane’s, including the points you earned with the line about flattening balls. It was indeed dirty enough to score you a beautiful, one-of-a-kind, hand-crocheted scarf created by Trash herself. I’ll make sure she washes the flour off her hands before she gets started.

But even though Kathleen’s recipe wasn’t a first-place winner, her good-luck wish to Trash did come true in the form of a recipe from Katie:

I think we have a winner for the contest. I make them using a cookie scoop for greater ease, and if you make them tiny, they puff up like little brown sugar meringue cookies and if you make them normal size they’re like puffy, wonderful, melt in your mouth sugar cookies. I used to make all kinds of cookies, but now everybody just wants these. The recipe doubles well. The first one you taste is really cream of tartar-y tasting. Then you want more. We call them crack cookies. Yum!

Sugar Puffs

1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tsp. soda
1 cup shortening
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream sugars and shortening well. Add beaten egg and mix thoroughly. Stir flour, soda, salt and cream of tartar together. Add to creamed mixture. Stir in vanilla. Roll into small balls, dip top in sugar and place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees approximately 10 minutes. Yield: 7 dozen cookies.


Yum is right, Katie. For sharing your recipe, you’ll get a collection of Christmas Cookies straight from our kitchen. Sadly, it will include no crack cookies, because I am keeping them all.

Ow! Stop pinching! Okay, Trash says we’re including crack cookies in your package. I’m not happy about it, though. Let us know if we got it right. Of course, if we got it wrong, we'll have to take your prize back, so maybe you should keep that to yourself.

Winners, please e-mail me with your snail-mail addresses so we can get your fabulous prizes shipped out to you in time for Christmas. And thanks to everyone who entered.

Today’s best search phrase: “Is Marylynn in Duluth?” Yes. Yes, she is. Wait—no she isn’t. She just left. Whoops, she’s back. No, hang on, that’s not her. Is it?

posted by M. Giant 4:20 PM 6 comments

6 Comments:

Oh yeah, we gotta get those recipes posted. No fair srringing us along like this - so winners get your permission to post to MG, like now!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 13, 2004 at 8:08 AM  

Posting the winners of a cookie recipe contest with NO COOKIE RECIPES? Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to put down the crack cookie, right now.

--oddmonster@madlinguist.com

By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 13, 2004 at 11:48 AM  

In searching the blogworld for cookie recipes, it's great to find your site. I've snagged these recipes to try soon. My sugar cookie recipe is from an old recipe book and is made with shortening so I wanted to try something new.

By Blogger Sudeaux Lux, at December 15, 2004 at 9:27 AM  

I made the crack cookies this weekend. I'm lucky I made it to work today, man. They are AWESOME. Also, because I can't leave well enough alone, I added about three tablespoons of cocoa to the last third of the dough and made some chocolate crack cookies. With them, I think I can rule the world.

Heidi

By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 20, 2004 at 11:40 AM  

I too made crack cookies. Easy and delicious. I don't even have a mixer at school here, so I had to cream butter and sugar by hand. And I am going to eat until I pop.

By Blogger GorillaJen, at December 21, 2004 at 10:52 AM  

Oh dear lord those crack cookies are good! I alreay made three batches because everyone loves them. And next time I'll add cocoa too!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 25, 2004 at 6:51 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives