M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Monday, November 15, 2004  

This and That

Thanks to everyone for the wonderfully supportive comments and e-mails this weekend. They mean more than you realize. Trash was once heard to log on and say, “I want to see if there are more comments. Comments make me feel better.” Which has been true for both of us. Thank you all for helping us both feel a little better.

It would be nice if Strat could read too, though. Stupid cat. As for M. Tiny, he still has moments when he misses Orca enough to literally scream. Oddly enough, these times seem to coincide with the times when we wake him up to change his diaper. We all grieve differently, you know.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned in two and a half years of blogging, it’s that it’s hard to sell out when nobody’s buying. Enter Google AdSense. Now you can scroll down and look on my sidebar to the right for ads from Google that may or may not be relevant to the day’s entry. And you can click on them and I’ll get some money, in a cynical ploy by yours truly to exploit my readership for financial gain.

I should mention that in memory of Orca, the first month’s proceeds will be donated to an animal rescue charity. Which makes it feel a little less cynical. So click-click, unless of course you are dead inside and hate all animals everywhere. Not that I would judge you.

For those of you who have always wanted to come to one of my band’s gigs but can’t because you don’t live in the Twin Cities are, your problems are over. At least, if you live in Duluth and don’t mind parting with some money. Myrtle Jean and the Bubs are opening for Adrian Legg at the Norshor Theater this Friday, November 19. You can buy tickets here (click on Adrian Legg).

Did you know Duluth is the San Francisco of the North? The things that stick with you when doing tour research for a radio show.

Of course you don't have to pay money to see us this weekend if you live in Duluth. You can also drive down to St. Paul and watch us play for tips at the Ginkgo Coffeehouse in St. Paul. Click the link on the sidebar for more info.

Hey, remember the sugar cookie contest? Even though the entry deadline has passed and our lives have turned upside-down, the contest is not over. Trash’s friend and baking partner Blaine is going to be doing the initial round of bake-testing. We’ll keep you posted as the contest develops. And as other things do, as well.

One last thing: Happy birthday, Trash!

posted by M. Giant 5:28 PM 13 comments

13 Comments:

Look! Look! A comment!
I know that the road of grief is a hard one, and losing a pet is doubly hard because it's so often scoffed on by others. Never think that Orca was "just a cat"--our pets are our family, just as your new boy is, and it takes a long time to heal from a loss. Just take one day at a time. We are all thinking of you. I was reading your post while I was on call at the hospital, and had to stop reading because I was starting to cry and I didn't want the other doctors to see me...
Wishing you all the best,
Kate in Vermont
PS--my great-grandma's brown sugar cookies are gonna ROCK! You'll see....

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 15, 2004 at 6:32 PM  

If comments make Trash and you feel good, then heck, we had all better get going. Like nearly everyone, your entry about Orca had me sobbing. I am very sorry, you guys clearly loved her very much, and she sounds like she had a wonderful life with you.

Happy birthday, Trash!

-Jen T

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 15, 2004 at 7:56 PM  

I would love to see your band...but you live so far away! Do you think you'll ever get to Philadelphia? If so, I'll be first in line.

Happy Birthday, Trash! Same birthday as my dad! (I know that's so meaningful)

Robyn in PA

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 15, 2004 at 8:01 PM  

Happy Birthday, Trash - from a fellow Scorpio chick (bday on Wed)! We are the best, ever.

You guys are the best. Thanks for sharing everything you've been going through - good and not-so-good.

Much love from the San Francisco of... well, the West.

- JeniMull

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 15, 2004 at 9:19 PM  

It's so hard when a beloved pet dies, and I agree that sharing stories helps. My own "too small tux" kitty died a year ago. She had been gradualy loosing weight, and just stopped eating. The vets couldn't find anything wrong. She was gone a few days after that. I had had her since I was five, and she died the week before my spring break, so I couldn't get home from college to be there. What made it worse for my poor parents was that our parakeet died that night; they found him the morning after. I still miss my pets, but at least they had lived long lives. The cat was 16 and the bird was 9. R.I.P. everyone's loved pets.

By Blogger Tigerlily, at November 16, 2004 at 3:02 AM  

I am so very sorry for your loss. I was going to comment on your previous post, but your photos of Orca look so much like my little Kees - so I was crying so hard by the end of your post I couldn't see straight.

My condolences to you, Trash and M.Tiny.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 16, 2004 at 4:43 AM  

OK, so, I was pretty heartbroken to hear about Orca. And I guess I was heartbroken enough to have a dream last night that I was in Minnesota and came to hang out with you, Trash, M.Tiny, and Strat for the evening. I brought you soup, hung out a bit, but then I had to leave to go watch the premiere of "The Amazing Race."

So, even while I'm sleeping I'm sending you my sympathy and some dream soup.

By Blogger A Peach, at November 16, 2004 at 4:59 AM  

Four years ago, my husband and I had to watch our cat of 16 years put to sleep, and the worst part was that we had to make the decision. His decline was sudden and rapid, and the vet assured us that while she could keep him alive, she could do nothing for his constant pain, so we stroked his little ginger head and told him we loved him while he faded. As we drove home that night, Henry a small orange ball in my husband's lap, we were both crying so hard we could barely see the road.

I know the pain is great now, but it does fade eventually, and Orca will always be a part of your home and your family.

- CA

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 16, 2004 at 5:12 AM  

And now your Comments section is making me cry. This is how your site will get listed as NSFW, what with all the sad animal stories in the comments.

But I am really sorry to hear about your cat. It sounds like the two of you loved her very much.

--Oddmonster

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 16, 2004 at 5:57 AM  

Oddmonster, that made me smile; being tagged as NSFW for -that- reason would, I think, be strangely satisfying for MG. At least momentarily. 'Cuz, you know, it would be semi-cool to be NSFW, but he doesn't write the adult-style naughty stuff. At least not that I've ever seen... or want to. Maybe Trash will choose to share what she got for her birthday. Or not.

Also, let it be known that since I don't have a recipe in contention, I am willing to be a bake-tester too. I have a little time this Thursday, and I need to study neurology anyhow. So if Blaine is overwhelmed, I could bring a batch of something to MG's gig on Saturday. [mimes the "call me!" gesture]

By Blogger Febrifuge, at November 16, 2004 at 6:23 AM  

I hope you, Trash, M. Tiny and Strat are doing better. I had to have my beloved kitty put to sleep when she developed cancer on her face-- I promised I would end it when she was in pain, and I did. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, and I can still make myself cry if I think about it. But you had far too many good years with her to let a couple of really awful days blot it all out. Sooner than you think, you'll be thinking of her and you'll smile-- remembering something she used to do that made you laugh (or want to punt her, but which seems funny now in retrospect).

Shortly after Sammy died, a new kitty, Winston, came into my life. My friends said that Sammy sent him-- I don't disagree, because Sammy always did have a weird sense of humor.

The ones that we love who die don't ever really go away...

--sharoncville

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 16, 2004 at 11:02 AM  

Happy birthday Trash. I hope you were still able to enjoy the day, despite your loss.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 16, 2004 at 3:34 PM  

Your comment that people leaving comments made you feel better made me feel better.

Group hug!

And happy belated birthday, Trash!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 17, 2004 at 4:02 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives