M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Monday, November 01, 2004  

Election Day

I’ve never gotten much into politics on this site, and I wouldn't be doing so today if, well, look at the calendar. I’m not optimistic about my chances for winning people over to a particular side. People tend to believe what they believe, and I lack the rhetorical flair and blogging skill to hammer together an argument strong enough to turn anyone around. If I were any good at finding links to support my arguments, I'd do it all the time. So even though election day is tomorrow, I’m not going to tell you how to vote. I’m just going to tell you to vote, period.

I’m not going to tell you how to feel about an administration that’s packed with people– from Defense Department wonks to the Vice President—who have publicly argued since the 1990's that the United States military should invade and take over one Middle Eastern nation after another on the theory that it can. Decide for yourself whether you want the rest of these wars to go forward, and whether you want to leave them in the hands of someone with a proven history of building his plans around best-case scenarios.

It’s up to you to make up your own mind as to whether you want to keep, as your Attorney General, a religious nut who wants to use terrorism as an excuse to peer into every aspect of your life, from the books you read to the groups you belong to—unless, of course, those groups are on the right wing and just happen to own a cyanide bomb and a shitload of guns.

Make your own decision about a President who stated his desire to add to the United States Constitution an Amendment whose entire purpose would have been to deny a basic right to one specific group of Americans.

I’ll leave it up to you as to whether you want to tell the world that you’re just fine and dandy with the fact that the current administration has effectively opted out of the Geneva Convention.

I’m not going to try and talk you out of any feeling you may have that disagreeing with the current president is tantamount to anti-Americanism, whatever your position may have been on his predecessor’s prosecution of such international operations as the Kosovo war and Desert Fox.

If you can think about a president who keeps appointing one right-wing judge after another—people who want to turn this county’s clock back a hundred years in a hundred different ways—and not be bothered by the likelihood of that same president appointing the next four Supreme Court Justices, more power to you.

According to the polls, somewhere in the ballpark of half the people in this country are in favor of all of those things. Those people have a responsibility to vote for them.

But you do what you need to do. It’s your call. Vote what you believe.

posted by M. Giant 5:35 PM 10 comments

10 Comments:

Kudos.

By Blogger a Carrie, at November 1, 2004 at 7:07 PM  

Wow, you are not biased at all!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 1, 2004 at 10:09 PM  

He has a right to be "biased." This isn't a news site, it's a personal journal.

-Cranberry

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 1, 2004 at 10:23 PM  

Wait, you mean I shouldn't use this site for my news? Someone should have told me that a year ago. Damn...stay cool

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 1, 2004 at 11:02 PM  

If this is "lacking rhetorical flair", damn, I wish I was as lacking as you.
Bravo, and congrats on your bundle of joy! ~rayvyn2k

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 2, 2004 at 2:59 AM  

My thoughts exactly! I was particularly disturbed by Paul Krugman's column on John Ashcroft -- somehow I'd missed that one. Yikes! Let's hope for the best for America today. (Oh, and I'm not posting anonymously; I don't have a blog on this site. I'm Dan from dano.diaryland.com.)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 2, 2004 at 5:44 AM  

Heh, I voted this morning! Loved your fair and balanced blogging. You should start your own network: The Anti-Fox News.
-Anne

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 2, 2004 at 5:57 AM  

M.Tiny for president!

(Oh, what, like our current president doesn't totally drool all over the Oval Office?)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 2, 2004 at 8:47 AM  

Not the least bit anti (anyone) are you. I agree. I agree I agree. Great recap of Gilmore Girls.

Lbragirl
http://iflifewereperfect.blog-city.com/

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 2, 2004 at 2:38 PM  

I'm so sorry to hear about Orca, and that was an amazing tribute. I was with my cat when we had to put him to sleep a couple of years ago, and it's never quite the same. I still wish he'd rummage through anyone's purse as soon as they set it on the floor. But she sounded like an amazing pet, and I'm sure she knew you were there with your hand on her when the time came. Don't be surprised if Strat picks up some of Orca's habits - our remaining cat did that in a very eerie way, but it was also comforting, like his own little tribute.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 16, 2004 at 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives