M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Friday, September 24, 2004  

Family Business

You know, people are always saying, "Trash should do a guest entry." It shows up in my comments, and it shows up in my inbox. I recognize that she and the cats are the real stars of this thing, but honestly.

Trash herself is generally pretty reluctant to step up, because we both like to consider me the writer of the family. But today, with her permission, I'd like to share with you an e-mail that we sent out to some of our friends and relatives. I think it demonstrates her writing skills quite well.

Hey everyone --

We are sorry for the bulk e-mail, but we have some big news, and (as it turns out) a short time to relay it.

As some of you know, Trash and M. Giant had a bit of an eye-opener a year ago last May, when in the span of 6 weeks, we discovered that we might be pregnant, we found out that we were pregnant, we spent some time convincing Trash that we were pregnant, and then we had a miscarriage. This chain of events shook up our world quite a bit, and made us do some serious thinking about our future.

After a few months of talking and thinking, we decided that the path that felt most comfortable for both of us was to pursue an adoption. While race and sex were not factors in choosing a child, we did feel strongly that we wanted to adopt a child born in the USA if possible. We shopped around for an agency that felt comfortable, and in January we selected one in the Twin Cities area. We went through the long approval and home study process, and we were approved to go forward in May. It took us a little while to get our book and letter approved, but as of June we were available to adopt.

If you are adopting in Minnesota, after you have been approved for adopting and have put together your pictures and your home letter, your portfolio then becomes available for birth parents to view. The birth parents then choose to meet with those families that seem a possible match. We were notified this past Tuesday afternoon that a young couple had chosen our portfolio from the book and wanted to meet with us. We did meet them on Wednesday afternoon, and without going into too much detail, we loved them, they seemed to like us, and they decided to choose us to parent their baby-to-be. They are due in late November, and we know that it's a boy. The parents are legally allowed to change their minds up until 30 days after the birth, but we both believe that what's supposed to happen will indeed happen, and we want to make sure the parents feel comfortable with their decision.

So, we have some big changes ahead of us, especially with M. Giant in the middle of launching his freelance writing career. We are very excited and nervous, and can't wait to find out what happens next. And of course we are deeply grateful to the birth parents for choosing us.

Love,

M. Giant and Trash


See? She's a perfectly good writer. I hope this will satisfy some of the clamoring for a guest entry from her for a while.

Anyway, it should be clear now why we spent so much time working on the house last spring. And why there was no entry on Wednesday. It'll be a relief to be able to write about the biggest thing going on in our lives. At least while I still have time.

posted by M. Giant 5:50 PM 22 comments

22 Comments:

How exciting! Congratulations to you both! Thank you for sharing.

--kjaspy

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 24, 2004 at 6:01 PM  

Oh man, that's amazing news! How awesome for you guys, congrats! - Sundry

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 24, 2004 at 6:05 PM  

no way! That's awesome! Congrats to you both.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 24, 2004 at 6:26 PM  

Best news!

Usually I have tears of laughter reading Velcrometer; today, I have tears of joy!

Congratulations!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 24, 2004 at 6:28 PM  

Oh, yay! That's the best news I've heard in weeks. You guys will be great parents - I just feel it. Have you registered anywhere? Like on Babies-R-Us? You know, just in case one of us would want to buy something for little giant?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 24, 2004 at 7:03 PM  

Congrats to you and Trash! This is excellent news! Good luck on your impending parenthood :)

By Blogger Rebecca, at September 24, 2004 at 7:36 PM  

Well, if this is an example of Trash's guest entries, then I'd really prefer it if you let her post more often, darlin'. ;-)

Lucky LUCKY little baby boy to be a part of such a lovely family. I hope he knows he's got an entire internet full of wellwishers, and I truly cannot wait to hear everything about him.

Best to you, Trash, the kitties, and to the new arrival,
Jennifer

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 24, 2004 at 8:01 PM  

Wait! What? I mean, WHAT? You never so much as slipped a clue. Oh my goodness, that's amazing. But still, WHAT?!

That's wonderful news, and I hope we get more details in the weeks to come. -Pam

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 25, 2004 at 8:12 AM  

Congratulations!

-Monty

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 25, 2004 at 11:27 AM  

M. Giant and Trash, that is fantastic! I wish you mucho, mucho congratualtions.

And yeah, Trash writes well, too. Maybe she could try her hand at a journal/blog of her own?

By Blogger Carol Elaine, at September 25, 2004 at 1:38 PM  

Man, I love when cool people become parents. Congratulations!

Elle

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 25, 2004 at 3:19 PM  

THIS is your excuse for not posting a Humpblog?

Well, okay. I suppose we'll accept it this time. In all seriousness, congratulations! You two will be wonderful parents. Thanks for sharing such great news with us.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 25, 2004 at 10:38 PM  

Yay! I'm so happy for you both. I've heard that the very best thing you can do for your child is to love each other and clearly you do - very much - so I'm sure you'll be excellent parents. However, when that baby pees on you (and he will because boys do that) you must not stuff him in the Brita pitcher in the fridge! - trish

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 26, 2004 at 1:31 PM  

I am so happy for you both that I could cry.

And, yes, Trash is an awesome writer!

By Blogger DeAnn, at September 26, 2004 at 3:47 PM  

Much congratulations to the both of you!

By Blogger Veronica, at September 26, 2004 at 4:33 PM  

Oh my goodness, many congratulations. I am so happy for the two of you, couldn't happen to better people.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 26, 2004 at 9:54 PM  

Congratulations! I am so happy for you and Trash! My husband and I adopted our two beautiful sons, so I know of the elation and fear that you are going through. You two will make wonderful parents!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 27, 2004 at 9:13 AM  

Congratulations! We need more little Minnesotans. Keep us updated on the progress! Yay! - Amy

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 27, 2004 at 10:51 AM  

Excellent, excellent news! It must be really scary and exciting that it's coming so soon, but I'm sure you guys will handle in style. Congrats! -- Scott from L.A. (DaiNoga)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 27, 2004 at 3:22 PM  

My, my, my, HOW your lives are going change! Good thing you've had those cats to practice your patiences with, huh? Congrats to all of you!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 27, 2004 at 8:08 PM  

Late November, that's pretty soon. I hope that you and Trash are living it up while you have the chance.

And Trash is a great writer. The letter brought tears to my eyes.

Anna

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 27, 2004 at 8:27 PM  

Congratulations!

By Blogger Gwen, at September 28, 2004 at 4:23 AM  

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives