M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Wednesday, November 12, 2003  

Humpblog

Maybe Wednesday should be blog day around here. I don’t know. Maybe it’s a bad idea. I’m just thinking out loud. As you’ll see below, I’m not about to stop either.

* * *

I remember when DeForest Kelley died. I was saddened, but not surprised. I’d picked him for a dead pool a couple of years ago, after all. No regular members of any Star Trek cast had passed away at the time, and he was the oldest member of a high-risk group at a time when sixties TV stars were dying off like germs in an autoclave. I seem to remember that Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country barely got made because they had so much trouble insuring the guy.

For similar reasons, I was saddened but not surprised to hear about Art Carney’s death. Of all the recognizable cast members of The Star Wars Holiday Special, he was the oldest (and I say “recognizable” because I’m not counting the guy who played Chewbacca’s wife, who was 49 at the time). Until yesterday I wasn’t even sure he was still alive, to be honest. Now he’s bought a little more time for Diahann Carroll, Bea Arthur, Harvey Korman, and Jefferson Starship. Wherever he is now, the Force will be with him and every day is Life Day.

* * *

We’re finally painting the upstairs bedroom, the only room in the house that hasn’t been painted at least twice since we moved in ten years ago. It’s the only room that hasn’t been painted once since we moved in. We’ve been slowly clearing stuff out of there over the past couple of weeks so we’ll have room to work. Now there’s all this empty space, and we don’t miss ninety-five per cent of what used to be there. We’ll see how much of it comes back.

Last night, I rolled up the large area rug that’s been on the floor up there the whole time. We’ve had this rug longer than we’ve been married. It’s probably going to end up in the living room after we take the carpet out. My parents took it home and gave it a thorough cleaning it once—they said they got enough cat hair out of it to make a cat—but that was several years ago. Rolling it up last night kicked up so much dust and dander that my eyes and throat and sinuses reacted as if I’d been maced.

Now when I cough it tastes kind of musty. Should that happen?

* * *

Trash and I are both in the midst of lulls at work.

“Whatcha doin’?”

“Nothing.”

“Working on anything?”

“No.”

“I wish you’d tell me what’s going on.”

“I already told you I plan to have a burrito for lunch in two hours.”

“That’s true.”

“That’s literally the full extent of what’s going on in my life right now.”

“Oh.”

“Yes.”

“So is anyone else in the office today?”

“Yes.”

“What are they doing?”

* * *

Got another gig coming up with the band in a couple of weeks. You should come, because it’s free.

On Saturday, November 22, we’re at Betsy’s Back Porch in Minneapolis. 54th and Nicollet, 7:30 to 10:00 p.m.

I think I’ll put a “next gig” box on the right side of the template there, for your stalking convenience. It’ll probably say “TBA” most of the time, which is fine considering how bad I am at updating my template anyway.

Trash used to think TBA was the busiest band in the Twin Cities, by the way. They’d play half a dozen bars in one night sometimes. However did they do it?

Today’s best search phrase: “How to hide a urine sample on your person.” I have a few ideas, but they kind of fall apart if one assumes the need to present the sample later on. Sorry.

posted by M. Giant 2:30 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives