M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Wednesday, June 25, 2003  

Blow, Winds, Blow!

Weird weather this week. We’ve had rain every night since Sunday, with accompanying phenomena that have been increasing in intensity. There was a window screen in our backyard yesterday morning. It wasn’t from our house. I don’t think it was from either of the houses next door, either. It might have come from my aunt’s house, come to think of it. In any case, it was gone when we got home from work last night. Maybe its owner came by and retrieved it. Or, given the storm that raged though the late morning yesterday, it could be anywhere by now.

But then the sun came out around lunchtime. Then it went away again. By eight p.m., my glasses got fogged up just from stepping outside. And overnight, it was a full-on air raid. Our power went out overnight, so my clock radio didn’t know when to go off and I was late for work. Which actually turned out to be a good thing, because the storm also knocked out the air conditioning in our floor of the building and even casual business attire can be pretty uncomfortable when the office is ninety degrees, steamy as a rainforest, and devoid of any wind that didn’t originate from people screaming at each other. The place was uninhabitable until after 9:00. Of course, it could have been worse. Driving down France Avenue on the way to work this morning past non-functional traffic lights and leveled trees—big trees, mind you—I realized that we’re probably lucky to still have a roof. Which sounds kind of petty compared to the plight of folks in Buffalo Lake, who would consider themselves lucky today if they still had a town.

And then there’s my coworker who lives less than a mile from me. She parked under a tree last night, hoping it would protect her car from hail damage. Instead, the tree greeted the morning sprawled across the car parked in front of hers. Talk about sucky protection. If it had hailed, she would have been screwed.

I talked to our friend Banana on the phone today. She works at the Electric Fetus, a non-chain record store just south of Downtown Minneapolis. Interestingly enough, the Fetus was without electricity when she called. Which I guess made it, at least temporarily, the Acoustic Fetus. She asked if there was water in our basement. I haven’t been in our basement since last night. Therefore, as far as I know, no water. I should probably stay upstairs for another couple of days just to be sure.

Normally I enjoy thunderstorms, to a point. They can be fun, as long as you’re not sitting in your basement watching snippets of TV between the interminable local weather alerts and you hear wall-filtered rainwater spattering onto the floor behind you (which, yes, happened once). They have such sucky timing, though.

In this case, my parents came over on Saturday to help us with some yard work. My dad brought his gas-powered pressure washer, an amazing device that effortlessly rinsed years of accumulated grime and tree sap off the wood of our deck as if he was painting clean onto it with a roller. It also took off the moisture sealer, but we figured we’d reapply some this week. Of course, that requires a forty-eight-hour window of no rain and we’ve yet to see half that. Yes, the rain is preventing us from treating our deck with a coating that will protect it from the rain. After we removed the old coating just in time to expose it to one of the rainiest weeks of the deck’s existence. I’m pretty sure that’s ironic, if only in the Alanis sense. On the plus side, our yard is now full of nice, thick branches for us to burn in the chiminea. It’s raining firewood!

Anyway, I don’t really have a punchy conclusion, since that would require some kind of insight or analysis that I don’t have. I just wanted to let y’all know that if I don’t post tomorrow, it’s because tonight’s storm squished me or fried my computer or turned the Twin Cities into a smoking crater or something. I just wanted to prepare you, so there are no nasty shocks for you guys. At least if you’re outside the Twin Cities. Those of you here in town, if you wake up in a smoking crater tomorrow morning, there’s not much I’ll be able to do for you anyway.

posted by M. Giant 3:20 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives