M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Thursday, February 27, 2003  

The Land of Make-Believe

Fred Rogers is riding the big trolley in the sky today. Along with Sesame Street and Electric Company, Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood was part of the holy trinity of my pre-school television viewing schedule. I give those shows some of the credit for the fact that I was able to read when I was three years old.

Actually, I might have been able to read starting at six months, but since I couldn’t talk yet, who would have known?

Three decades later, my favorite shows are Buffy, The Sopranos, and C.S.I., and yet my killing-people-and-vampires skills place me at the bottom percentile of my age group. I guess it’s true what they say about it being harder to learn things as you get older.

In any case, in Mr. Rogers’ honor, I’ll be picking up a forty-ounce of my other favorite thing from Latrobe, Pennsylvania, and emptying it out on the TV. One for my neighbor.

* * *

Speaking of probably literate pre-verbals, yesterday I forgot to mention Deniece’s other obsession: seventies soul music. This dates back to when she was six months old. Trash and I were watching her for the evening and she was nearly inconsolable. The only thing that would calm her down was Stevie Wonder’s “Isn’t She Lovely” in the CD player on infinite repeat. We took turns rocking her around the living room for hours, like a weird dance-marathon sitcom episode.

Since then, she’s been a huge fan of Stevie, Marvin Gaye, and James Brown. You can tell because she’ll spontaneously start dancing when she hears their music. Her mom frequently tunes the digital cable to the “70s Soul” music channel and just lets Deniece go.

And go she does. She swivels her hips. She raises the roof. She plants her hands on the edge of the coffee table and shakes her booty like the shortest hip-hop video babe in history. All with a smile on her face that nearly wraps around her entire head.

I swear, this kid is going to be so upset when she gets old enough to realize she’s white.

* * *

Short entry today, because tomorrow is Reader Mail day and I’m going to be buried. It’s your own fault, you know. It doesn’t mean I’m feeling creatively bankrupt today at all.

posted by M. Giant 3:14 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives