M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Thursday, August 15, 2002  

Short entry today because, much to my chagrin, I found myself in the position of actually having to work the entire day. That’s a heck of a way to mark the date of my eight-year anniversary with the company, don’t you think?

Pretty much all I have for you is this link. My friend and reader Corpkitten sent it to me yesterday with a brief note of warning. If you don’t already know about Florida’s new “stealth cops,” you should click on it because I don’t have time to explain it to you right now.

Now I’m a little embarrassed about all my complaining last week. Remember how I was carping about how hard it is to speed from Minneapolis to Chicago? I didn’t realize how lucky I was that I don’t have to drive between Jacksonville and Miami instead. These stealth cops are sneaky with a capital eek. Hey, do you suppose it’s a coincidence that they’re focusing on violators in roadwork zones, where the fines for speeding are doubled?

Yes, the article his heavily laden with propaganda about how this program is aimed at reducing traffic accidents and fatalities. And no, I’m not coming out here in favor of accidents and fatalities, although I can’t imagine that doing so would hurt my hit count in the short run. I’m just saying that I wish people would admit that speeding tickets also serve as an arbitrarily applied tax on highway users. I don’t mind paying taxes, but I’d just as soon get them taken care of all at one time rather than getting pulled over without warning for a chunk of them, which in turn gives my insurance company an excuse to gouge me even further.

I’d be more upset about this, but I’ve only had two speeding tickets in the past thirty-five months myself. Last week, you would have had to peel me off the ceiling.

Don’t bother questioning my objectivity on this, because I don’t have one. It’s a good thing I’m not a real journalist or something.

posted by M. Giant 3:02 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives