M. Giant's
Velcrometer
Throwing stuff at the internet to see what sticks


Monday, April 08, 2002  

I read an interview witrh David Lynch once, in which he was talking about painting. He said he would often have dreams in which he would see these incredible paintings, and he would be upset because someone else had done them. Then he would wake up and realize that those paintings actually came from his own mind, which meant they were his and thus he was free to paint them. But then he couldn't remember the paintings any more.

I had a similar experience this morning. I had a brilliant idea in a dream, but instead of waking up and forgetting it, I woke up and realized what a lame idea it was.

I'm not going to go into too much detail about the dream, but the upshot was that I had the idea of using the Internet to publish a sort of "choose your own adventure" in serial form. Like every week's installment would end with a decision to be made by the readers, and I would take a poll to see which direction the story would go in for next week. Even as I was considering this my dream morphed into a sort of Matrix prequel in which the machines had just begun the attack and humans were being rounded up for purposes we didn't yet understand. It was scary in my dream, and I thought it would be a good way to inaugurate the world-changing revolution in storytelling and electronic media to which my prophetic mind had given glorious birth.

Then I woke up realizing that there's a reason that most people stop reading "Choose Your Own Adventure" books before high school. And that maybe serialized fiction has already been tried on the Internet with less than spectacular results. And that The Matrix and "CYOA" are probably copyrighted to the hilt anyway. And that no matter how you sell it, no reader is going to consider it much of a conundrum when presented with the situation of being confined inside the nearest polling venue with several dozen panicky neighbors and then given the choices of "A: Try to escape" and "B: Sit around waiting for giant, evil robots to show up and clamp jumper cables onto your genitals."

So maybe it wouldn't work quite the way I conceived it. On the other hand, it bears more thinking about. Maybe something from my dream-fevered brain farts can be salvaged and made into something that'll make me rich and famous after all. No, I said me, dammit. You'd better not be stealing my crappy idea. Maybe I'll let you buy it, but that's it.

By the way, of all the projects I had planned for this past weekend, I was able to successfully finish...

One.

Maybe I'll have pictures up soon, if I can figure out how to do that.

posted by M. Giant 9:52 AM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Listed on BlogShares www.blogwise.com
ads!
buy my books!
professional representation
Follow me on Twitter
donate!
ads
Pictures
notify
links
loot
mobile
other stuff i
wrote
about
archives